Tuesday, 1 December 2015

$2bn arms deal: EFCC arrests Yuguda, ex-minister, others

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arrested a former minister of state for Finance, Bashir Yuguda, and a number of top officials from the office of the National Security Adviser (NSA) over the controversial arms procurement scandal surrounding ex-NSA, Sambo Dasuki.

Sources at the EFCC confirmed Yuguda was arrested on Monday afternoon.
Reports indicated that money, ‘running into billions’ was allegedly traced to the former minister from funds allegedly meant for arms procurement. “The funds were said to have been directly transferred to him from the NSA’s office. The transfers were allegedly made to his account between December 2014 and May 2015.”
Also arrested over the same matter, according to our sources, are some senior officials at the NSA office, including the director of finance.
“The suspects may not be allowed to go home soon,” one source disclosed.
EFCC spokesperson, Wilson Uwujaren, confirmed the arrest.
A presidential investigations committee into arms procurement during former president Goodluck Jonathan administration indicated in its interim report that it found extra-budgetary spending to the tune of N643.8 billion and an additional $2.2 billion in the foreign currency component.
But, Dasuki has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing, saying all contracts and accruing payments on arms procurement were made based on the president’s approval, adding that due process and military procurement regulations were followed in all the transactions.
The former president has, however, denied awarding any contract in the range of $2 billion dollars.
Jonathan, who spoke in Washington, USA last week said: “I did not award any $2 billion contract for procurement of weapons. Where did the money come from? And I am repeating emphatically that I did not award a contract of $2 billion for procurement of weapons.”
Source: Sunnews

No comments:

Post a comment